Monday, June 20, 2011

Life...

Life has the strangest way of derailing you.  You think that everything is humming along for once and then... then the road twists.  My grandmother has been ill off and on a long time, she started out with liver cancer years ago and they were able to "take care" of that.  Which we were all very grateful for.  Not long enough after that she found out she had breast cancer, but, blessedly, they were able to "take care" of that as well.  Two weeks ago she went in because she was having trouble breathing and they ended up draining a pint of blood from her lungs. While investigating the cause they discovered more cancer, I'm still unclear on exactly how everything works... but I'm under the impression it is rogue liver cancer in her lungs.  The doctor(s) then told her that she only has six months to live.

Now, I know, that when they say six months that is... an estimate?  She could live more?  She could live less.  I don't know.  I really just don't.  For many years now I have been wrapped up in my own little family unit.  I haven't spent much time with my extended family because, well, little children are hard to travel with.  And money has been scarce.  But I do plan to see her as much as I can, because I do love her very much... I want to be there for her.  I want my children to be able to spend time with her as well.  She's an incredible woman, one I've always greatly admired.

So, last Friday, we went up to Kirkland where she lives and visited with her.  It's not a short drive, with the kids it generally takes five to six hours.  It was a wonderful visit.  My children loved spending time with her and my Auntie Gretchen, my cousin Suzanne and her husband, Jeff.  Grandma told me stories about my Dad, about her family, we looked at old photos... it was what I hoped it would be.  I hope we can do it again soon.

Unfortunately, while we were up visiting, my husband's grandmother passed away.  It has been very difficult for him, and I am sad that we weren't able to spend more time with her.  That two of our three children never had a chance to meet her.  Another incredible woman, she will be greatly missed.  We will be going down to Sacramento for a memorial?  We hope?  Or at least to visit his grandfather and other relatives, next month after his summer classes finish.

All in all... it has been a very rough couple of weeks.  There have been high points and low, like any other, but some of the lows have been very low indeed.  All of these things have slowed down my production a bit, but I do hope to be working more normally now.  If nothing else, working keeps me busy.  Busy is good when you feel otherwise helpless.  I will try to post another, hopefully more cheerful, blog soon :)  Have a wonderful week everyone!

~~~ Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it means so much to me!