Sunday, September 4, 2011

I'm late, I'm late... to blog.

I've been meaning to write, I swear it.  But life has been dragging me down a bit, I've been fighting with this crazy rash and it has just... well, made life miserable.  I have been trying to get into a doctor for over two weeks, but the office my new insurance assigned me to really didn't want to see me apparently.  They wouldn't call me back when they said they would and when I called they would put me on hold and it hung up... then I FINALLY got an appointment with them last Tuesday for last Thursday?  But they insisted I had to have all of my past records to them before the appointment.  I spent all day Wednesday on the phone attempting to get my records to them, calling records departments, leaving messages, dealing with endless waits... in the end?  Couldn't get the records.  But I thought, surely my rash speaks for itself, surely they will see me?  Help me?  At least tell me something?  No.  I went into the appointment on Thursday and the woman said flatly, "No records, no appointment, you were told.  It was your responsibility." I tried to explain, told her about spending all day on the phone, and I had even tried to call her several times to tell them I was having trouble and ask advice.  But their phone system repeatedly hung up on me when they put me on hold.... repeatedly.  I was polite and honestly? Almost begged.  But she said in the same flat voice no.  And was looking at me as if I were a bug she would like to squish.  My children were with me.  My husband was with me. I am ashamed to say I burst into tears right in front of her because I have been in so much pain for so long, scratching myself bloody at night in my sleep.  In a benadryl haze trying to control the itching during the day... watching this rash spread for what feels like forever.  And my daughters both asked me why the doctor wouldn't help me in front of the entire office staff... and I just shook my head and we left.

My husband called our insurance as soon as we got home.  They encouraged me to make a formal complaint against the office, because apparently I am not the only patient they have treated like that.  So I did.  Usually I just... let things go if they pertain to me.  I will fight like a tiger for my kids, but when it comes to me... not so much.  But the gentleman on the phone said it needed to be done.  They switched me to a new office in town, unfortunately they have no appointments for another three weeks... so Friday I gave in and went into the Urgent Care to beg for help.   The doctor looked at my arms for a very long time, he pulled out a magnifying glass and studied the sores/spots/rash on my arms, on my legs... ruled out all the things it could be but told me that "this was new".  Not particularly reassuring when my hands are getting stiff with the rash and the itch is worse daily.  But he said it looks like an allergic reaction of some kind... sort of.  And some of it looks like eczema... so he rx'd prednisone, told me to take claritin in the mornings an benadryl at night, to continue using eucerin... and to get an appointment with a regular doctor in hopes of a referral to a dermatologist.

Here's what the rash looked like as of yesterday morning on my arms:

So this is why I've been slow getting a new post up... new listings... just been a very slow week for me.  I did however manage to take my daughter to her first part of kindergarten orientation and she is so very excited!  She got to try a school bus even though she won't be riding one on a daily basis lol.  She thought it was the coolest experience ever.  :)  I have been working some and will have new listings up probably tomorrow morning :) And I have started a piece with my Bead Soup!  It is... going to be something!  LOL  It is pushing me to try new things and I am really excited.  I think it will be wonderful and am finding it so much fun!  I am so grateful to Lori Anderson for hosting it!  Bead Soup Blog Party

Alright, off to get back to chores and such.  If I'm feeling ambitious I might try to take some teaser pics for you guys of what I've been working on :)  Have a great holiday weekend!



  1. Oh WOW, Jennifer!! How awful! I hate those bureaucratic experiences!! I'm glad that your provider worked with you to get a new doctor. Please, please DO FILE a complaint!!

    Thanks for great advice; I wish to extend it to you! Take care of yourself and we'll be excited to see your posts when you post them :D

  2. I have never heard anything like it! It is a total disgrace. The frustration probably made your rash worse.

    Good luck!
    - Pepita

  3. Oh how I feel for you Jennifer...and there really is no excuse for that type of treatment. I'm so glad that you didn't let it slide and filed that complaint. Where is the compassion to help people? I'm so sorry... :( -I have one on my hands right now but that's due to metal allergies - so I'm really hoping and praying that those meds kick in and help ease all the suffering...and that your new Doctor will be able to pinpoint exactly what it is.

    Focus on the happy stuff and distract your mind with your designs & Bead soup - I can't wait to see what you create. <3

  4. It sounds like the people in that doctor's office forgot why they are there-to help people. I am so sorry that you had to deal with that, unbelievable! I hope you find remedy soon. I find that designing new pieces always takes my mind off of things. That and shopping online for new beads and findings! ;)

  5. Oh Jennifer. I am so sorry you're going through this. The rash is bad enough, but the atrocious behavior of the doctor's office is inexcusable. I'm very proud of you for filing a complaint. I've got more to share with you, but I will send you an email, so as not to clutter up your blog. xoxo, c

  6. Thank you so much Janice, Kathleen, and Christine! Your kind words all make me feel so much better :) And thank you for reading, I know it was a long post lol. And I am beading like a madwoman! Trying to get the soup done! Such a fantastic distraction. And my arms are doing so much better, the meds do seem to be helping. And Christine, I look forward to your email!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it means so much to me!